With the Braves celebrating their 50th Year of baseball in Atlanta, I thought that I would put together a little Braves’ trivia to see if you’ve been paying attention over this past half-century. See how well you can do!
1. Aside from Phil Niekro, who is the only Braves’ pitcher to throw a complete
A. Pascual Perez C. Kent Mercker
B. Denny Neagle D. John Smoltz
2. Who was the Braves’ manager when they won their first division championship in 1969?
A. Luman Harris C. Chuck Tanner
B. Joe Torre D. Bobby Bragan
3. What Braves’ pitcher hit two (2) grand slam home runs in one game against
the Giants in 1966?
A. Ron Reed C. Pat Jarvis
B. Wade Blasingame D. Tony Cloninger
4. What Braves’ slugger hit four home runs in a single game against the
Expos in 1986?
A. Hank Aaron C. Dale Murphy
B. Bob Horner D. Ron Gant
5. Who was the last Braves’ player to hit for the cycle against the Cubs in 2008?
A. Andruw Jones C. Mark Kotsay
B. Julio Franco D. Edgar Renteria
6. Who is the only Braves’ catcher to ever hit more than 40 home runs in a single season?
A. Javy Lopez C. Joe Torre
B. Earl Williams D. Brian McCann
7. Which of these Hall-of-Famers was once on the Braves’ coaching staff?
A. Red Schoendienst C. Duke Snider
B. Bob Gibson D. Robin Roberts
8. Which of the following Braves was a left-handed batter?
A. Jerry Royster C. Denis Menke
B. Barry Bonnell D. Mike Lum
9. Who replaced Hall-of-Famer Eddie Mathews as the Braves starting
third baseman in 1967?
A. Darrell Evans C. Bob Horner
B. Ken Oberkfell D. Clete Boyer
10. Who shut-out the Pirates 4-0 in the 7th game of the 1991 League Championship Series to send the Braves to the World Series?
A. John Smoltz C. Steve Avery
B. Tom Glavine D. Charlie Liebrandt
11. Who was the last Braves’ pitcher to win 20+ games in a season with 21 wins in 2003?
A. Tim Hudson C. Russ Ortiz
B. Kevin Millwood D. John Burkett
12. What future All-Star shortstop did the Braves trade away in the 2007 trade
that brought them Mark Teixeira?
A. Ian Desmond C. Yunel Escobar
B. Elvis Andrus D. Jose Reyes
OK, that’s it for this time. These weren’t too difficult, so I hope you did well and maybe even got them all right. Check the correct answers below.
1. (C); 2, (A); 3. (D); 4. (B); 5. (C); 6. (A); 7. (B); 8. (D); 9. (D); 10. (A);
11. (C); 12. (B).
Jim Fowler is a sports columnist and retired teacher and coach who worked in the local school system for many years. He is a founding board member of the Thomaston-Upson Sports Hall of Fame and is also the statistician for the Upson Lee football team, and has written a book about the history of football at R. E. Lee High School.