By Ashley Biles email@example.com
May 23, 2014
As some of you may already know, I reached one of those milestone birthdays last week. That’s right I turned… dare I say it… 30! As per usual, being a year older doesn’t really feel all that different at this point in time; although it does feel a little strange to be able to say I can remember something that happened 20 or 25 years ago and it be because of my own memories, not what others have told me throughout my entire life. As I was reminiscing about the last three decades the other day, I realized I have learned a lot over the years. Now I know what you may be thinking; and no, 30 is not that old and I by no means consider myself to be very wise. However, in my relatively short time here on Earth I feel I have acquired some tidbits of knowledge through my own actions or those of others. Some are quotes from famous authors or song lyrics that struck a chord with me and some are thoughts I managed to put into my own words. So, in honor of my 30th birthday, here are 30 things that I have learned to be true thus far:
30. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren’t going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
29. “Nothing is impossible. The word itself says ‘I’m Possible’.”-Audrey Hepburn
28. There is nothing wrong with going to bed at a reasonable hour.
27. Everyone deserves a second chance, but only a special few deserve a 200th chance.
26. “The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea.”
25. “I believe in Christ like I believe in the sun-not because I can see it, but by it I can see everything else.”-C.S. Lewis
24. Finding a card from a friend mixed in with the mail never fails to bring a smile to my face, even if it is from someone I talk to on a regular basis.
23. “The waiting is the hardest part.”-Tom Petty
22. “There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do and mostly live.”-Dalai Lama
21. Enjoy your own company, because if you don’t even like to be around yourself, it is unlikely that others will.
20. “It takes no more time to see the good side of life than it takes to see the bad.”-Jimmy Buffett
19. “Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you will be criticized anyway.”-Eleanor Roosevelt
18. While I like just about any genre and there are a few exceptions to this rule, some of the best music ever made comes from the 60s, 70s and 80s.
17. Sitting outside on a warm summer evening and just watching the lightning bugs blink throughout the sky is one of the best ways to clear your mind.
16. “Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.”-J.M. Barrie
15. The best nicknames are often the ones that people do not know they have.
14. I will always get caught by every red light or stuck behind the slowest driver in the world, when I am running late.
13. There is nothing as refreshing as a cold piece of watermelon out of the refrigerator on a hot day.
12. “Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.”-Garth Brooks
11. I have found that writing out what I am feeling is one of the best forms of therapy.
10. Sometimes riding around with the windows down and the radio up is all you need to be happy.
9. “If you are not willing to look stupid, nothing great is ever going to happen to you.”-Dr. Gregory House
8. “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop to look around once in a while… you might miss it.”-Ferris Bueller
7. The lunch hour is the shortest hour of the day.
6. “You’ve got to know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em; know when to walk away and know when to run.”-Kenny Rogers
5. It is not the quantity of friends you have, but rather the quality. I would rather have a handful of close friends I can count on than a room full of people who are basically acquaintances.
4. There is no day so bad that it cannot be made better when you come home to a dog’s love. Izzy and Bana have been able to turn around some of the worst days just by giving me kisses and snuggling with me on the couch.
3. Becoming an aunt is one of the greatest things gifts that I have ever been given. Nothing melts my heart more than my nephew Brayden wrapping his arms around my neck for a hug or grabbing me by the finger and pulling me to go play.
2. My family is one of the most precious things in this world to me. I truly do not know where I would be without not only their unconditional love and support, but also their friendship.
And the number one thing I have learned in my 30 years is:
1. “You can’t always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you just might find… you get what you need.”-Rolling Stones
Ashley Biles can be reached by calling 706-647-5414 or on Twitter @AshleyBiles1