Flint River comes back to topple Southwest Georgia

J. Thomas Perdue Special to The Thomaston Times

November 15, 2013

Flint River Academy hosted the first round of GISA playoffs against the Southwest Georgia Warriors last Friday. Fresh off their Region Championship victory, the Wildcats were almost laid to rest early by the Warriors, but SGA failed to finish off the Wildcats in the first half. Flint River slowly turned momentum in their favor and came from behind to win 26-21.

This matchup appeared to be lopsided early on, as the Warriors humbled the Wildcat offense to only three yards on their first two possessions. SGA moved the ball seemingly with ease against the Cats, and took a quick 14-0 lead in the first quarter.

Flint River finally showed a pulse in the second quarter. After forcing an SGA punt, the Wildcats got on the board when quarterback Seth Short connected with David Chester on a 54-yard touchdown pass to cut the lead in half. The Warriors, however, made it 21-7 with a touchdown on the ensuing drive. Flint River added one more touchdown, a nine-yard run by Chester, before the half ended, trailing 21-14.

Flint River got within a point in the third quarter on a 24-yard run by Jay Adams. The PAT failed, however, so the Warriors held on to a 21-20 lead. Chester came up big again later in the third quarter, this time on defense. He made an interception that turned the tide permanently for the Wildcats. Flint River drove deep into Warrior territory, but was driven back by penalties and forced to punt.

Neither offense was successful again until midway through the fourth quarter. Trailing by one, the Wildcats were given a huge boost when Seth Short completed a 30-yard pass to fellow senior Jay Adams on fourth and 20. Adams went on to put the Wildcats ahead with a nine-yard touchdown run. After the failed conversion, the Wildcats led 26-21. A few plays later, Adams sealed FRA’s comeback win with an interception.

After being thoroughly dominated in the first quarter, Flint River showed impressive resilience just to hang around until halftime. The Wildcat defense stepped up in the second half, allowing no points and only 79 total yards (compared to 249 in the first half). As a team, the Wildcats rushed for an impressive 224 yards, with 144 of those coming in the second half.

Flint River will play at home again this Friday, hosting Trinity Christian Academy of Dublin in the second GISA playoff round. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m..